This year, my strategy for the holidays was to make all my Christmas goodies with gluten, so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat them. Even if the recipe didn’t call for gluten, I’d sprinkle some in there, just to keep me honest. I resisted almost all things sweet, except for one of my absolute favorites, Oh Henry Bars!
Last year, I couldn’t enjoy them, because I found out that oats contain gluten, which was very disappointing. This year, however, as I was perusing the gluten free aisle in Safeway, I discovered that my old friend Bob and his trusty Red Mill had been at it again, creating delicious gluten free products for the masses, including Gluten Free Oats.
Usually, when I see a new gluten free product from Bob’s Red Mill, a bright light shines on it and the angels in the heavens sing, but when I saw Bob’s Gluten Free Oats, I had just one thought, “Oh, Henry! Come to mama!” Just one more reason I love Bob and his magical Red Mill.
|Gluten Free Oh Henry Bars||
- 4 C. Rolled Oats (Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats)
- ½ C. Karo Syrup
- 1 C. Brown Sugar
- 1 C. Butter
- 1 package Chocolate chips
- ¾ C crunchy peanut butter
- Mix the oats, Karo syrup, brown sugar and butter and spread evenly in a 9×13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 min. until golden brown.
- Let stand 5-10 min. after baking, before putting on topping.
- Topping: Melt chocolate chips and cream together with ¾ C. crunchy peanut butter.
- Spread over oatmeal crust and let cool. (Place in the refrigerator or outside to cool, so the chocolate hardens.)
- Cut into bars.